aka Banaras or Benaras is an old and well-known city in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
- Area: 73.89 sq. km.
- Altitude: 80.71 m above sea level
- Summer Temperature: 43°C (Max); 32°C (Min)
- Winter Temperature: 15°C (Max); 5°C (Min)
- Annual Average Rainfall: 111 cm
- Population: About 1.4 million
- Main Languages: Hindi and English
- STD Code: 91-0542
- By Air: Varanasi airport is 22 Kms from the city and is well connected with all the major cities in India.
- By Rail: Varanasi's main railway station is the Cantt. railway station connecting it with all major places in India.
- By Road: Varanasi is well connected by road to major cities in UP and Bihar and is located on three National Highways - NH2 from Calcutta to Delhi, NH7 to Kanyakumari and NH29 to Gorakhpur.
Tourist Information Centres
- Government of India Tourist Office
15B, The Mall, Cantt, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Government Of India Tourist Information Counter
Babatpur Airport, Varanasi, Uttar Pardesh, India
- UP Government Tourist Office
Tourist Bungalow, Parade Kothi, Near Varanasi Cantt. Railway Station, Varanasi, UP, India
- UP Government Tourist Information Counter
Near Railway Station, Varanasi, UP, India
Important Destinations & Distances
- Allahabad - 128 km
- Lucknow - 320 km
- Kanpur - 320 km
- Agra - 606 km
- Patna - 252 km
- Bodh Gaya - 243 km
- Lumbini (Nepal) - 335 km
- Khajuraho - 411 km
- Delhi - 765 km
- Sarnath - 10 km
- Sonauli - 305 km
- Rihand Dam - 160 km
- Renukut - 175 km
- Shakti Nagar - 225 km
- Kolkata - 681 km