- Take 20-24 inches long silk thread strands in a bunch. If you want to make multi coloured rakhis take silk threads of different colours.
- Tie a tight knot with a cotton thread on the one-fourth part of the silken thread bunch. The one-fourth part will be made into a rakhi while the three-fourth will be the string to tie around the wrist.
- Now make sure the heads of the silk threads of the one-fourth part of the bunch do not remain in loops, in case they are, cut them with a pair of scissors.
- Once they are independent of loops, with a toothbrush rub hard on these threads and brush them with strong strokes by holding tight on the knot. With repeated strokes the silk threads turns fluffy and soft.
- To make the string, divide the three-fourth part of the silk thread in two equal parts and plait them separately. At the end tie a knot and brush the end again.
- Once this is done decorate it with beads or sitaras. Stick them with glue.
You can also buy a sheet of sponge of a suitable colour, cut it into a star or flower shape, and decorate it with beads. Golden threads can be entwined and used for decoration.
What You Need
- Strands of silk threads
- A pair of scissors
- Cotton thread to tie knots
- Beads, sitaras, golden threads and sponge to decorate
- A toothbrush with hard bristles