Goddess Lakshmi is regarded as the mother of wealth and its source and supplier. Goddess Lakshmi is the provider of wealth in myriad forms: Fame, knowledge, strength, victory, progeny, valor, property, food, happiness, bliss, intelligence, beauty, ambition, thought and meditation, ethics and integrity, health and longevity.
Just as the Mother Goddess Durga has nine appellations, her daughter Lakshmi has eight different forms. This concept of in her eight-fold form is referred to as the Ashta-Lakshmi. The eight forms of Ashta-Lakshmi are believed to fulfill all human necessities and desires through their individual nature and manifestations.
The eight divine forms of Goddess Lakshmi or Ashta-Lakshmi comprises:
1. Aadi-Lakshmi (The Primeval Goddess)
2. Dhana-Lakshmi (The Goddess of Prosperity and Wealth)
3. Dhaanya-Lakshmi (Goddess of Food grains)
4. Gaja-Lakshmi (The Elephant Goddess)
5. Santana-Lakshmi (The Goddess of Progeny)
6. Veera-Lakshmi or Dhairya Lakshmi (The Goddess of Valor and Courage)
7. Vidya-Lakshmi (The Goddess of Knowledge)
8. Vijaya-Lakshmi or Jaya Lakshmi (The Goddess of Victory)