1. Religion & Spirituality

The annual ancestor-worship or 'Pitri-Paksha' is a period that is observed during the dark half of the Hindu month of 'Bhadrapada' or 'Ashwin.' This year it begins on September 20 and ends on October 4 - the Mahalaya Amavasya. This period of 15 days is set aside by the Hindus for the remembrance of their ancestors. During this fortnight, Hindus donate food to the hungry in the hope that their ancestors will also be thus fed.

It is this time that Hindus throughout the world reflect on the contributions their forefathers made to their present life, and the cultural norms, traditions and values they set for us in order to make our lives better.

According to the Vedic scriptures an individual is born with three debts. The debt to God is called 'Dev-rin.' The debt to the sages and saints is called 'Rishi-rin.' The third debt to one's parents and ancestors is called 'Pitri-rin.' It is believed that this debt can be paid back by performing acts of charity in the names of your ancestors during their annual visits to your homes in their subtle, invisible bodies... Read Full Article

Image ExoticIndianArt.com

Comments
September 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm
(1) Lee Silber says:

I have been a kriyaban with Babaji since I was 16 when I was initiated in kriya yoga by Roy Eugene Davis Yogananda’s #1 disciple. I know that Babaji is immortal,and I try to practice the same breathing techniques,and other yoga techniques to achieve:physical immortality,and God-conciousness like Babaji. I have been doing yoga since 4 years old,and if you cna tell me what daily kriya yoga practices I can do-besides what I do everyday to achieve God in my being like Babaji the Lord will bless you supremaly!!!My cell is 305-910-8337.

September 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm
(2) vidya bhushan Sharma says:

It is true that during this fortnight we remember our ancestors, but it is not correct that we give food to any of hungry person in remembrance of our ancestors. According to our SHASTRAS the eligible person, to whom we can invite for SHRADH , is one who is ” BRAHMAN & wear janeu doing “SANDHYA” & “GAYATRI”. It is right that we should give food to some hungry person for humanity sake but the purpose of “SHRADH” is not fulfilled by doing so because only the BRAHMIN or a COW is permitted by the SHASTRAS for performing acts of SHRADH on the remembrance of our ancestors during their annual visits to our homes in their subtle, invisible bodies…

September 20, 2011 at 6:33 am
(3) Dr.S.SHARMA says:

During Shradh as mentioned to feed Brahman/s and Gaya mata is essential but if one can afford to feed poor people is most welcome and is widely practiced.

September 20, 2011 at 9:00 am
(4) Dev Sewpersad says:

During my daily sadhana all members of my family , both present and past, and perhaps future ones are remembered in my prayers. During Shradh, all offering are made to the sustainer of the universe , as a gesture of gratitude to our forefathers. It is gifted , with this faith (shradha) in the almighty that the subtle aspect of our offerings reach our ancestors. Our family members and neighbours join in to participate in meals on that day. While I respect Brahmins; if one has to feed, it should be done whole-heartedly without any class or distinction.

Jai Sai Ram

September 26, 2011 at 9:23 am
(5) sunil.post says:

apart from offering black sesame seeds water to ancestors
in a metallic bowls mixed metals called kansa. we have to offer pindas on banana leaf. the pindas are made from rice powder. pindas are in a shape of eggs. we have to feed the following five.

crow,
ant,
dog,
cow,
human

out of five the cow is most important. we can offer some leafy vegetables for the welfare of ancestors to cow. the shradha gets completed. in SHORT.

October 8, 2012 at 1:36 am
(6) kitchen sinks for sale says:

At this moment I am going away to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read other news.

September 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm
(7) abq personal injury attorney listings says:

I am in fact happy to glance at this web site posts which contains
lots of useful information, thanks for providing these kinds of data.

September 30, 2013 at 11:18 am
(8) vossen wheels says:

Hi! This post could not be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a
good read. Thank you for sharing!