1. Religion & Spirituality

Eighteen years ago, on one September day, one of the most recorded paranormal phenomenon of the last millennium occurred - the 'Ganesha Milk Miracle' incident. The world watched as inanimate idols of Lord Ganesha drank thousands of gallons of milk from ardent devotees in homes and temples across India and the world. What really happened? Looking back at one of the most important events related to idol-worship in the 20th century that occurred on September 21, 1995... Read Full Report

Ganesha drinking milk

This year, the anniversary of the miracle comes closely on the heels of the Ganesha festival. Do you believe in such miracles? Read the first hand accounts of people who actually witnessed this miraculous phenomenon in the comments section below.

Please leave a comment, if you have to say anything about this miraculous event. You may also share the links with your friends or community on Facebook and Twitter, by clicking on the "+ Share" button below.

Comments
September 21, 2010 at 3:14 am
(1) Sanjay Mishra says:

That time I was working at Dunlop India Ltd. I reached to office as usual. I was in the Public Relations Department, Vice President Marketing Mr S Badrinathan and me went to a Ganesha idol which was placed under a banyan/peepal tree in the barks of the trunk. First of all Mr.Badrinathan touched the milk with spoon to the idol and the milk disappeared, and he did this a number of times seeking some reasons but failed to find why is this particular phenomena happening ?Everytime time the milk was disappeared. After him I also did the same and the milk was disappeared, I started thinking if the stone was absorbing the milk it should not absorb after the idol,s trunk is wet. But it kept happening, I do not know the reason, even Mr. Badrinathan was also surprised. As far as I remember that day it was raining in Calcutta so the idol was already poured in the rain water and wet. But really amazing I had ever felt in my life. Next day I read in the local newspaper that it happened due to capillary action. I do not know much about the physical science. But I can say whatever happened that day was a big surprise to me and Mr. Badrinathan, we also reported this event to then Dunlop M.D. Dr.M D Shukla.

September 21, 2010 at 5:07 am
(2) Anil says:

I will begin by mentioning that I am not at all a religious person. It is strange that i was asked by my boss to go and procure a Ganesha statue for the reception of our company’s residential tower (We both did not know anything about the Ganesha drinking milk phenomenon at that time). When I reached the market I saw a huge crowd on the road near a temple. On inquiring I got curious and offered the milk myself. I was wanting to prove it a superstition. I decided not to tilt the spoon and keep it horizontal and see if Ganesha still sucks it up. And even at the cost of being disbelieved and considered a religious fanantic I would like to be honest and speak the truth–Ganesha did suck the milk even from a horizintally held spoon.

September 21, 2010 at 5:33 am
(3) Shay says:

Truly amazing.

September 21, 2010 at 8:35 am
(4) Mona says:

I was in India then and there is no doubt that thousands of gallons of milk was consumed by Ganesh. No body could explain it but it happened so what can we call it except mracle?

September 21, 2010 at 8:49 am
(5) indra emmanuel says:

it’s truly amazing it happened right here in Trinidad West Indies at our mandir and we have been observing Ganesh Utsav since then

September 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm
(6) Remash says:

I was in Singapore staying at my Brothers residence.When I heard this news , immediately I went to the Pooja room with a glass of Mild and spoon . With great shock, the whole milk was sucked by the Ganesha idle.My brother, SIL , daghter and son all did the same.Even I can hear the sucking sound ! It was a great miracle. And I tried the following day and the idle was not drinking the milk.I wont forget this in my life!

September 22, 2010 at 1:05 am
(7) Jay says:

I remembered the day well.cause it is my wedding day?we tried to spoon feed the idol in the picture,it sucked away all the milk.What a phenomenon,or is it just the rishis making a lila(playful)to show their powers?i am still wondering..

September 22, 2010 at 8:16 pm
(8) Nanda says:

It happened with me in Guyana, South America. First with the Murti made from plastic at home and then with the one at our Mandir that was made from brass. That night, our Siva lingam absorbed all the water too.

September 23, 2010 at 12:20 am
(9) Avinash says:

There are widespread reports on news media in Trinidad that shree ganesha murtis have been drinking milk today…at temples and homes…..

September 23, 2010 at 12:21 am
(10) Savitree says:

I witness thi Sep 22 as i was told Ganesh was accepting milk this is the first time i experience Ganesha actually accepted the milk from me i was very happy and excited and will never forget this auspicious time .

September 23, 2010 at 12:36 am
(11) Satrupa says:

It has happened again! Fifteen yrs later it has happened in Trinidad and Tobago! All over our country Shri Ganesh murtis have been accepting offerings of milk and water. Our Hindu radio stationcovered the story nonstop all day. And people fromallover the world were calling to say it’s happening in their homes and temples. From what they reported this happened inhouston Washington Ontario florida and London. I’m not sure if it also happened in India.
Other murtis are also accepting offerings too. Personally lord Shiva and Shri Krishna as well as Shri Ganesh accepted my offerings of water and milk. It is truly amazing!

September 23, 2010 at 5:19 am
(12) Rukhmin says:

Last night I “fed” the murthis milk by the spoonfulls and I just looked on in awe…! How amazing …. it kept “disappearing” and I knew I was not spilling any. They were brass murthis of Lord Ganesh, Shiva, Vishnu and Durga. Such an astounding experience but moreso from the Shiva murthi. One simply cannot explain this phenomenon. One must experience it.
My heart is so full…..I merely heard of this 15 years ago but I did not experence it before last night.
May God Bless you all….PEACE !

September 23, 2010 at 5:21 am
(13) Rukhmin says:

I live in Trinidad!

September 24, 2010 at 3:19 am
(14) Rajesh Pai says:

15 yrs back, I too fed a spoon or two of milk in a small temple and it disppeared. Could not try later as during normal days no one aloowed near the Idols. People were so happy that tears were streaming down their eyes. They expected that Kali yoga was ending.
Explantions were given, saying it was wick action that sucked out the milk.
Miracle or no miracle .. It helped revival of faith

September 24, 2010 at 8:44 am
(15) Shithira D/O D. Samiah says:

I am a Malaysian Indian.

I was so ignorant that I did not know what exactly going on out there until a friend told me of the miracle of Ganesha drinking milk. I do not believe blindly. At the same time I was getting ready to go back to my home town. I called home to say that I am coming home but when I reached home, my whole family members were home all getting ready to go to the nearby temple to be a part of this miracle. I am not going to miss this. I want to see how much true is it in my friend’s word.

We(my family members) went to the Siva temple as we understand that Ganesha’s temple in my home town was full of people. We head towards Sivan temple and already seen people hanging around there with spoon of milk in their hand in front of the statue of Ganesha but nothing happen.

Well my family members plus me does not give up we waited patiencely.

Ganesha refused to take the milk. So many people stood there in vain and some leaving being inpatience. I was queing up behind this little girl who tried to feed Ganesha and he just slurping away the milk and I saw with both my eyes. I was next to feed him and my tears rolling down without I realising it. He took two spoons of milk from my hand. Wonderful, I can feel his presence that moment.

That was a great experience and yes Hinduism is a way of life. Do good and good will come back to you remember Newton’s Law.

September 28, 2010 at 2:01 am
(16) Pathma Rajoo says:

Yes, it is true !!!

Here is Singapore, people rush to temples to fed a spoon of milk not only in Ganesha temple, any temple but to Ganesha.

I can still remember how I had to explain to my boss to get time off from work to fed, but it was worth it.

As soon as I reach home, I tried it at home and it did work.

What a GREAT feeling which $$$ cannot buy. I felt so blessed.

May GOD bless all !!!

September 28, 2010 at 4:50 am
(17) Ananya says:

I was all of 15 yrs..Had come back from school and heard of incident on a news channel..At first I did not believe..Afterall I’d always been an atheist. But suddenly our neigbors daughter came running..She was spellbound as she went on to narrate what she saw..Intrigued by her story, I quickly poured some milk in a bowl and rushed to the neighborhood Shiva Mandir. Yes, it was not just the idol of Ganesha, but also the idols of Shiva, Shiva Lingam and the Nandi bull also drank milk that day. There was a long queue of worshippers outside the temple as I patiently awaited my turn. Once inside the temple I could see milk all around but that did not convince me..So I poured some milk in a spoon and took it close to the idol of Nandi bull..As the spoon touched the mouth of the idol, the milk started reducing gradually. I ran my palm all over the idol to check if the milk was dripping..But I could see nothing and in the next few minutes the entire spoonful of milk disppeared..Yes, I was awestruck. Once I came back home, I was glued to the TV..That was the only news that day..On some channels scientists tried explaining the phenomenon..But till date I believe that it was something supernormal if not a miracle..

September 28, 2010 at 7:05 am
(18) PTS Menon says:

God is not a finite entity or individual with a form and bound by space and time. God is infinite, complete, changeless, and omnipresent. There is not a place where God is not. The world as is perceived by the human mind is unreal, manifested by the power of Maya (delusion/ignorance). To realize and experience God is our goal. We are all one with that God that Reality. Ignorance deludes us into believing that we are individuals with distinct identities. If we can get rid of this Maya, then we come to feel the reality.

True Bhakti is the continuous meditation upon one’s true nature, which is the Universal Brahman. One may start as a worshipper of a personal God; but over the years, through intense devotion, and following a simple life style, showing compassion and forgiveness to all, one achieves a certain elevation in one’s thought processes, and eventually starts perceiving the impersonal and universal nature of one Brahman.

We are doing an injustice to the Hindu philosophy by trying to publicise the milk drinking story of Ganesha. It is the height of ignorance and hysteria.

September 30, 2010 at 1:49 am
(19) Sankar Menon says:

Hindu Philosophy is a Spiritual Science which has emerged from the dedicated research carried out by committed seekers of Truth. Their findings are based on transcendental experience, and are recorded in the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita. Sree Sankaracharya has provided convincing interpretations to Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita, on the basis of his theory of Adwaita (Adwaita means non-dualism; the theory that the Seeker and the Sought are One).

We don’t need miracles to establish the power of God. When we see God as Ganesha, it is not His form that we should focus on; nor should we get carried away by events such as a few drops of milk getting sucked up through the trunk of the Ganesha idol, in accordance with the laws of physics. We should endeavour to feel God as an all pervading presence, as the “Supreme Brahman shining forth, vast, self—luminous, inconceivable, subtler than the subtle. He is far beyond what is far and yet here very near at hand. Verily, He is seen here, dwelling in the cave of the heart of conscious beings.” (Mundaka Upanishad)

Come on guys! Let us not be frivolous! God doesn’t need to be fed, except with true devotion.

September 30, 2010 at 5:36 am
(20) Subhadra says:

Hinduism is essentially a way of life that enables individuals and societies to lead purposeful lives. It recognizes the multiplicity among individuals and provides functional guidelines for personality development to all. The emphasis is on getting connected with God, the all pervading Life-force that fills and energizes the whole universe, and which is the source of eternal happiness and wisdom, through refinement of individuals according to their intrinsic traits. Hinduism is thus a dynamic system of faith that promotes, among its followers, such qualities as harmony, poise, receptivity, positiveness and courage.

To a Hindu, God is not just a powerful person directing the destinies of people in a whimsical manner. He doesn’t drink milk from a tea spoon to propitiate any devotee! Kena Upanishad gives a highly inspiring description of God as follows:

“That which is not expressed by speech,
but that by which speech is expressed:
know that to be God, not what people here worship.

That which is not thought by the mind,
but that by which the mind thinks:
know that to be God, not what people here worship.

That which is not seen by the eye,
but that by which the eye sees:
know that to be God, not what people here worship.

That which is not heard by the ear,
but that by which the ear hears:
know that to be God, not what people here worship.

That which is not breathed by the breath,
but that by which the breath breathes:
know that to be God, not what people here worship…”

“…Discipline, restraint, and work are its foundation.
The Vedas are all its limbs. Truth is its home.
Whoever knows this, overcoming sin,
is firmly established in infinite bliss;
yes, firmly established.”

September 30, 2010 at 6:08 am
(21) Lemu says:

The thread that bound all Hindus that day was so emotional, palpable and strong, I recall the very moment when a friend drove up and just emotionally shouted the news at me without even getting out of the car and drove away to tell others, and it gave me a comforting sense similar to of belonging to a large caring family. How wonderful it would be if such miracles happened in every religion everywhere oftner because it brings out something nice in people, and we need that dont we?

October 1, 2010 at 12:49 am
(22) Raghu says:

There are no miracles. All miracles perceived by the human organs of perception can be explained by science and demonstrated in a laboratory.

God is not something to be trivialized by stories developed from freak incidents. God is perceivable only through the eyes of wisdom, and not through our immature minds and the unbridled indriyas.

O God! Forgive our ignorance! We are too numb with selfish materialistic thoughts to feel your presence in our hearts, and yet we are looking for miracles to prove your existence!

October 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(23) vivek says:

yes it was a miracle and i too was a disbeliever but the fact that we tried it on a metal idol and still the milk was sucked to the last drop was nothing short of a miracle.aum shri ganeshaya namaha…

October 27, 2010 at 7:28 pm
(24) Krishell says:

I am from Trinidad and I am honored to have experienced this phenomenon. Lord Ganesh is adorn with my admiration. I am truly amazed and astonished by this miracle.

November 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm
(25) Ranjeev says:

I experienced this phenomena as a little kid around 9 yrs old.

I did not get the satisfaction of fully experiencing it with my now rigorous and questioning mind. However, I know it happened – I fed, btw videos are there & scenes of the phenomena. And please science explaining it as capilary action? That is bullshit. Come on I’m a PhD candidate, science should know better than that to explain a hypothesis as fact. Kindly repeat the event today, I would have to say.

And, mass hysteria? I’ll tell you what mass hysteria is – todays pursuit or rather rush to gain materialistic comforts which are ever so upgraded. Take mobile phones for example. The creation of the constant flow of ever increasing desire that verily define on how a human SHOULD be happy. That rush and surge is mass hysteria.

Is there a message to this phenomena – yes everyone learns a different one. Albeit its a good one. Whatever you learnt, it should strengthen your faith in God lest seek God.

Also, it’s a gross demonstration of higher power – that you can actually personally reciprocate with God. A little devotion would have gone a long way.

December 22, 2010 at 11:02 am
(26) Sema says:

You who believe that nonsense thing are all fool.This Ganesha is only a sculpture,it is not God.If it is God how does it help you?Firs of all It isnt eating its own food what a shame! :) )) Im just laughing this nonsense thing…shame on you!
Ganesha or whatever,it cant help you,because it is only a sculpture,statue!If it is God,Why does it need your milk?Hahhhahahaaa :)

December 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm
(27) sema says:

what is the purpose?Can anyone tell me?what did you gain or obtain after feeding your God?what is the matter?Can anyone explain the purpose of believing to Ganesha or Visna whatever?The God is only one,There is no God exist more than one.

Im really curious why do you believe these images?Its just a sculpture.You cant see God by your eyes,by the way you create these sculpture by your hands so,it cant create human.Because these sculptures are hand made :) Please tell me how can you believe this paradox?

April 25, 2011 at 1:46 am
(28) shankar says:

I was a 10th standard schoolboy and I am glad that I was old enough to witness the miracle, first hand.. something which people born later will only hear as a folk tale.

May 22, 2011 at 9:16 am
(29) Naresh Hinduja says:

Dear All

I am an Engineer and I am very familiar with theories of capillary action and surface tension. But I witnessed it in a silver idol of Lord Ganesha and the rate at which the milk was absorbed beats all theories of science.

September 13, 2011 at 9:47 am
(30) P Kunalan says:

We at Malaysia too, had witnessed this miracle. Me & my wife spoon fed the milk to Ganesha’s glass sealed photo & the milk just vanishes into
Ganesha. For all who participated & witnessed this miracles is a blessings from Ganesha.

Lets look forward to another miracle, hopefully this September, with
Ganesha’s blessings. Sai Ram.

September 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(31) kshama Shashidhar says:

Yes Sir.
I too tried it by feeding the Ganesh idol at home and really felt amazed when I saw the milk disappearing out of sight!. It was really wonderful to feel that indeed Lord Ganesh was indeed up there watching us all with his twinkling eyes!

September 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm
(32) chandra says:

I concur with what shri Shankar Menon has said. In true religion Miracles are forbidden. A larvae going into hibernation and comes out as a butterfly is a true miracle; the bitterest mango when not ripen is so sweet when it is ripen is a true miracle. When the magic performed by the magician takes so much time for a magic, we called it natural; when it is done within eye winks time , we call it magic. Really people are blinded in the name of magic and miracle. Only Lord Ganesha has to save the innocent! because Ganesha is Lord of intelligence. and that is why there is Siddhi (Mind) and Buddhi (Intelligence) Ganapathi.

September 16, 2011 at 12:37 pm
(33) nirvani says:

I still remember the force by which the milk was sunk. The more that we offered, the more we could feel that great suction force where the milk disappeared. We Hindus, we are very proud to have wonderful Deities, both in the abstract and non abstract forms. Hinduism is a religion which leads mankind to eternal bliss and Salvation. We are the only religion in the world, where we accept God in different forms, languages and cultures. Even an enemy to us, you are always welcome as someone who posses a soul which is the abode of God within everyone. Contrarily to other religions, we believe we have come to the Earth to purify ourselves, and we do not fight to have immense population around the world to satisfy our God.

November 19, 2011 at 9:33 am
(34) Anju says:

I was 15 years when it happened. Along with my family, I went to the Hindu Temple in NYC to feed Lord Ganesha milk. There was so many people waiting to be given a turn and I had never seen such a crowd at the temple before.
This has to be one of the most important and life changing experiences of my life. I was in complete awe as I watched the milk disappear when I held it up to Ganesha. It affirmed my faith in God. I interpreted the event as a way of God telling us that he is always with us even when times are difficult and we may start to our faith.

January 24, 2012 at 8:09 pm
(35) kishin mirpuri says:

i was living in malawi when the milk miracle happened. i accompanied my children after school with 3 packets of milk, which was offered to various lord ganesh statues. i could not beleive it. i myself lifted the statues to inspect if the milk had leaked or or any clue where the milk went, but there was no sign. it was proved thestatue of lord ganesh had consumed the milk. we had long ques of people waiting in line to serve milk to lord ganesh.

February 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(36) Esin says:

Lars,Thank you so much for the time viiitsng my website and also for the very kind comments. Really appreciated.Jorge

February 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm
(37) vishal says:

Hi m vishal. I was in Fiji that time…. Was a typical bulletproof teenager who never believed in god or science, but just believed in my group of friends. Had rumors and i also tried wen no one was home and got shock of my life wen it happened. Almost s**t my pants! That was f**ing real man! Live changing experience…

August 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(38) Janardan ray says:

It is completely true … I came home once after work one day and my mum said have a shower quick .. See if you God will take milk from you .. ( I was a arrogant, disobedient teenager ) my mum dad and 2 sisters watched in amazement as Ganesh drank the milk from my spoon, my sisters started crying & I was shocked .. you have to see it to believe it :)

August 31, 2012 at 3:44 pm
(39) Alok Arora says:

This dates back to September 21, 1995. On that day, I heard all people talking about Gods drinking milk today. I went to the temple (hindu) in the evening with my mom (I was about 15 yrs old, 11th class). I wanted to try it out myself. I had a spoon full of milk (spoon was made of steel and was a little deep). I touched the spoon to Ganesha’s idol (white– i don’t know exactly what it is made of but you will find many such across north india. black shiva linga in the center and white idols of shiva, parvati, nandi, kartikeya around). And I saw milk started disappearing from the spoon, level started decreasing and all the milk was gone. I didn’t tilt the spoon even a little bit. That means milk was not at all in contact with the idol only the spoon was. I was totally amazed. I repeated the process with all other white idols (ganesha, parvati, kartikey and nandi). All had the same results. It didn’t work with shiv linga or any other kind of idol/statue. only those 5 idols made of white stone.
I am engineer by profession and science has been my stream right from very beginning. Later when I watched on TV news, Scientists gave explanation of milk surface tension and capillary effect. I exactly know what these two phenomenons are and for that you need to touch the liquid to the surface. But as a said in my case, I never let milk touch the statue. Milk was just sitting in the spoon and spoon was in touch the idol and spoon was not tilted or moved at all and the entire milk slowly disappeared with its level depleting from top. Let’s assume for a minute that it was due to surface tension/capillary effect or the white stone was absorbing milk somehow. Why only on that one particulary day and never before or after? Does anyone have any VALID scientific explanation based on the facts that I provided.

September 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm
(40) neha says:

yes it is true, my husband was in africa, with his parents, and he heard the news from his neighbors, that ganesh’s idol is drinking milk. so my husband tired it, and yes it worked. lord ganesh’s idol took the milk from my husband, he didnt even touch the spoon to the idol, and the milk just vanished from the spoon

September 25, 2012 at 2:58 am
(41) chandrasekharan says:

milk miracle happened in nepal at kathmandu kamaladi ganesh stan and i was there at that time. it is nothing but a cyphonic activity happening. all the milk drinken by ganesh came out through another passage i.e. at the end of the cyphon.

September 25, 2012 at 3:50 am
(42) Janak says:

i was in UK at the time of this phenomenon and i also tried milk offering to the Ganesh murti….and i can say factually, it did not work for me (perhaps i am a sinner) nonetheless amidst all these mayhem which captured the imagination of many Hindus, across the globe, there was one solitary priest, a deeply religious and righteous person and a defender of the faith who said on TV he had tried the milk offering in a similar way but it did not happen! I believe in in Sanatan dharma and all that ‘ Hinduism’ has to offer. I also believe humans instinct is to follow the herd. Indians sadly do have a tendency to follow others like a herd!!
OM Ganeshai Namah

September 25, 2012 at 6:47 am
(43) Ronda says:

Amazing experience for those who got to witness. Did it also happen to anyone in the United States?

September 25, 2012 at 10:07 am
(44) Ishwar Das says:

I still remember this amazing event and I placed a video from 1995 on this event. There is also a good website that is hosted by a guy in Germany. http://www.milkmiracle.com and video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13L5biVnkc

September 25, 2012 at 10:17 am
(45) Ishwar Das says:

I thought I state few details about this event since there are those who oppose such thing. This event happened world wide. The scientific argument falls apart entirely because there were metal statues also consuming milk. Also there was more milk consumed then the size of the statue. The event happened here in Canada also. People prefer not to believe as they are insecure to trust in something beyond what they can physically experience. God is beyond this physical world and it is beyond science and will always be. Just like Swami Vivekanand said, science is limited and it will end the moment it learns that all energies come from one main source or all chemical can be attained from a single element. Here is a speech by Swami Vivekanand

September 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(46) Rohit Kanji says:

Part 1:

I live in Houston, Texas.  I was educated in elite Engineering schools in India and have a PhD from a prestigious University the U.S.  I am a firm believer in empirical sciences.

It was September of 1995.  Houston was experiencing mass phenomenon of Ganesha drinking milk.  A like-minded friend of mine called me and we decided to test it for ourselves.

We went to the House of a family that was experiencing the phenomenon.  There was a long line outside.  They asked us to get our own supply of milk – they could not supply to the endless stream of visitors coming.  First, I looked for an economic motive.  They opened their home to throngs of strangers in return for nothing.  They even gave Prasad to those strangers.  No money to be made.  Worse, no privacy.

September 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(47) Rohit says:

When our turn came, both of us went in with our small milk carton and our plastic spoons.  The metallic Ganesha idol was sitting on a pedestal in the middle of this well lit room. Idol was no taller than 6 inches.  We took turns and placed the spool full of milk flat and brought it to the trunk.  Milk gradually disappeared.  There was no noise, no sucking sound.  Solid metal idol so no capillary effect.  No spilling down of milk either. We were shocked.  We stared at each other and walked out in amazement.  Here was this statue that was drinking gallons of milk day after day for several weeks.  Even the local TV channel covered it.

My friend said this to me as we drove away from the place: “All our life, we hope that God gives us a sign.  Could this be the sign?”.

We will never know.  It had occurred to me then that no amount of evidence or miracles will convince us.  We are living in a world where faith-healing sessions are dime a dozen.  A true miracle will be lost in th noise of these deceptive methods to convert people.  In the end, it has to be faith. It always has to be.

I reflect back on the event fondly.  But my training in science is a tough hurdle for me to accept the event wholeheartedly.  But, I will confess that there is NOT a single scientific reason that I heard that is even remotely close to explaining the phenomenon.  Science also teaches me to not ignore experiential evidence.  There was corroboration by thousands of others over several weeks.  No one offered a decent scientific explanation.

What did we really observe?

Is God really there?

Are there true miracles?

Is there a scientific explanation for what we observed?

I will never know the answer. If you are honest to yourself, you cannot discount such experiences.  I really experienced it.  No amount of evidence can convince us of all powerful God.  It is not a matter of reason.  In the end, it is a matter of faith.

September 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm
(48) Vikash says:

I remember this back in Fiji at the mandir it was strange…..

September 27, 2012 at 4:48 am
(49) Rama Rao K says:

The whole Ganesh drinking episode was a big hoax and was promoted by a religious charlatan to escape prosecution in Indian courts. See the link – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9URnKL4gWgw
I distinctly remember that day when I was standing in a queue waiting for a bus – when this news broke out with animated discussions among the people waiting in the queue. I didn’t take more than 10 seconds to dismiss the news outright as bogus and didn’t bother about the same. My question to all those who posted their views here: Was it not a pointless miracle if it indeed was a miracle. If the almighty god wanted to show a miracle, there are tens of thousands of ways to do so in a much better and far useful purposes than by drinking milk.

September 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(50) anonymous says:

how can a so called stone god made from the hands of human mortal men drink milk ?? is’nt that bizarre and a wierd statement to make ..what makes u’ll think that u’ll can play around with faith, religion and the word miracle ?? so are you saying that we as humans can create god with our own hands …then whats the need for god ..?? why dont we assume that we are our own gods?
and if u’ll consider him god then why do u’ll drown him in the water …drowning is a sign of death…is it so difficult to keep him in your homes and houses considering the fact that u’ll think he is god..
plz explain every question if anyone has the answer ..then i have some more questions…

October 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(51) rishi says:

This is stupid. Its not a miracle, its physics. The reason it seems as if it never happened before is because who feeds milk to a statue. Someone probably observed this before but its extremely rare that any observation becomes viral especially before the internet.

October 18, 2012 at 3:14 am
(52) Sumeet Singh Guleria says:

It is very easy in India to make fool of a spiritual person. Think you b*****ds who says that Ganesha who is the creation of Priest class Hindus was drinking milk why a God needs milk and if this statue is consuming milk by any reason what is the benefit to the General Public in it. It means Ganesha is a Thief who is drinking the milk in such a country where malnutrition rate is more than 40%. I’m also a Hindu but I am shamed after listening this type of bastard jokes about Ganesha or Shiva’s Dick Shiv Linga. That’s why I became Atheist in 2004. It is better to be an atheist than a blind faith Hindu.

October 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(53) P Kunalan says:

Dear Sumeet Singh Guleria,
You need to read a lot about hindu faith from genuine sources
& this may change your perception or clarify your mind / mental blocks.
Thus your life may change for better, However the choice is yours.
God bless you.

October 20, 2012 at 3:20 am
(54) Rama Rao K says:

Hello Mr. Guleria: Please tone down your language – there is no need to be abusive of the believers. What you wanted to convey could be said in a different but less offensive way. To quote a well-known atheist GORA who said: “It was man that made god out of psychological necessity in primitive times. Metaphysical justification of the existence of god was a clever after thought of the civilized man to preserve the faith, at best for its use as a sanction for moral conduct and at worst for aiding exploitation of the gullible masses. ”
While one mustn’t antagonize the believers outright, but force them to think and reflect on the contradictions of religious dogmas and such things irreconcilable with present day knowledge.

October 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm
(55) Iswar Das says:

Sumeet Singh Guleria so you are an athiest. Based on what you wrote it is obvious where your current views have taken you. As for others who claim that milk miracle was a hoax then how can this event have happened worldwide. How did metal statues consume milk? Why did it only happen during those days? Scientists have ignored many of the questions and put the simple answer about the texture of the statue which consumed the milk. I totally believe in this event and I have not seen any reasonable answer to this. Media has tried to make up stories about some temples were draining the milk. Others have said it has something to do with some guy who wanted to create adistraction during his court hearing. No one can explain many unaswered questions behind this. From metal statues, pictures, photos etc… all claimed to be consuming milk. How can this not be a miracle? Go to the same statues and try it today it will not consume milk. How do you explain this? Where is your science? If you are not sure then say that but to deny it without proof is total nonsense. Check http://www.milkmiracle.com for more stories. Pranam

October 25, 2012 at 6:28 am
(56) Rama Rao K says:

Reply to Mr Iswar Das: Your questions themselves reveal the answers: How can this event happen worldwide? Ans: No, It didn’t. How can metal statues consume milk? Yes, they cannot. Why did it happen during those days? No. It didn’t happen only on those days. In fact, as recent as 2006, a similar event occurred in Andhra Pradesh, Anantapur Dt. which was given wide-spread publicity in the media. Your comment that no one can explain many unaswered questions behind this ia a classic case of a logical fallacy. You are indulging in what may be called as “Argument from ignorance” (where “ignorance” stands for: “lack of evidence to the contrary”), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false, it is “generally accepted” (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there is insufficient investigation and therefore insufficient information to prove the proposition satisfactorily to be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four, (1) true, (2) false, (3) unknown between true or false, and (4) being unknowable (among the first three).
Leaving aside all these, one question that arises is : Why should god show any miracle in the first place? Believers assume that god is all powerful, eternal etc.etc. anyway, then what is the need for this show off? That too, in India, where 40% of children sufferer from chronic malnutrition and the almighty god merrily gulping milk by litres.

November 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(57) vernon says:

I am from South Africa and was schooling at that time, my 3 friends and I went a house nearby where Ganesha was drinking milk, we each fed Ganesha milk-it was great to do so-truly grateful and feel blessed to do so…

June 2, 2013 at 9:36 am
(58) anjanie mohabir says:

Yes i experience Lord Shiva who took milk after shiv ratree as a child ,but this also happen in the year 2013 after shiv ratree .further in the year 2012 after Navratee Maa Durga and other deities such as Lord Ganesh took milk in many temples in guyana South America where i live also over the years i recalled Lord Hanuman took milk in some Temples in my Country .inconclusion This milk taking of the gods only happen for some time and not as what Scientist discribed as stone that absorb milk if this was true it would’ve happen all the time.

June 20, 2013 at 8:26 am
(59) Rama Rao K says:

Further to my comments made earlier, here is an interesting write-up on the topic: http://www.imsc.res.in/~jayaram/Articles/milkb.html‎;
Check it out

July 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm
(60) yogesh says:

That was time when i was at school and had exams and suddenly y somebody told status of ganesha drinking milk at last after my school i decided to went with my brother to saw the event i was really astonished to saw that was true and really happening I tried my self with a spoon and
Its really happened the spoon go empty and i found bubbles on spoon like somebody sucking milk from status.

September 10, 2013 at 3:19 am
(61) Neera says:

My husband and my two kids, family and friends experienced thuis miracle in my home. a truly amazing experience, the milk offered to the Ganeshji in a teaspoon was scooped off very quickly. We kept on checking to see if perhaps it was not falling down, and it definitely was consumed by Ganeshji. We have been truly blessed to experience, this miracle in our home, you have to see to believe it. I tried in yesterday 09-09-13 but the milk remained in the teaspoon.

September 10, 2013 at 4:28 am
(62) luxmee says:

It seems so fresh today when i read all the comments about Ganesha; I made this experience 18 yrs ago in Mauritius . I heard people saying the Ganesh murti was drinking milk so as i did not have a ganesh murti but i had a Hanuman murti and as usual during my morning prayers i decided to test thsi experience on Hanuman ji and oh my god i was overwhelmed with this experience . Hanuman also drank the water several times and i ran to bring the whole family to make the experience and hanuman drank the water offered by all the members except my mother in law. I wondered why is this like this and to say so my mother in law is a very nice person and she is mother too. This i couln’t understand and till today im trying to understand WHY….

September 10, 2013 at 6:47 am
(63) Kumud Das says:

The materials that constitute the idol absorbed the milk. That is what happened-told me one of my friend from India. Let us stop these miracle things. This type of things actually putting bad names.Believing in something unknown is different thing. One guy, very educated, engineer recently told me that he was amazed why the sky is blue? For him it is a miracle of God. There is no doubt that faith and believe are important, healthier. Let us not over do.

September 10, 2013 at 11:24 am
(64) Lynda - ann Dial says:

Yes. I witnessed this miracle. one of our neighbours had prayers and they decided to see if the Lord would drink the milk after the prayers. (They had heard about it happening elsewhere). I looked in amazement as one by one my neighbours offered the milk and Lord Ganesha drank it. When it was my turn, I thought that he would never accept milk from a non devotee like me but he did! They say I cried when I offered the milk but I can’t remember. I am crying right now just thinking of this wonderful experience.

September 14, 2013 at 7:59 am
(65) vikrant singh says:

i am an atheist and i love science. but i still have a very faded memory of my childhood, when i watched in front of my own eyes, my mother kept a glass of milk near a photo of ganesha, and it really started disappearing from the glass.
i just can’t believe how it could have happened,if it was true, there must have been a catch…:)

September 15, 2013 at 6:20 am
(66) Vijay says:

Sumeet Singh Guleria: you are an idiot of the highest order who does not know what a Shiva linga is or what it stands for. ignorant fools like you making such an uninformed comment is really uncalled for. if you are an atheist, i do not understand why you are so strong with your words unless you have an agenda. as a Hindu, I am not unclined to think bad of you, but may you realize the mistake you commited in your life.

September 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(67) paban says:

i read some of the comments and saw people claiming it to be god’s miracle and some ridiculing them. what i m saying here is that, people whatever it was, it was paranormal. i fed milk myself and it got sucked up. i tried it later on the same stone idol but it didn’t happen. i was 10 or 11 yrs old then but the scene is still imprinted clearly on my mind totally. and let me tell you it was not on the ganesh idols only as claimed here. i did it to a ganesh idol and a SHIVA idol too. both of them baffled me. i don’t know why it happened on that day only and why a rare phenomena like that was taken off the shelves totally but i know it happened. sometimes i regret that i saw it because it is truely the only thing in my life that i could not explain. it bugged me then and it still bugs me.

September 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(68) ways to get rid of acne says:

When some one searches for his required thing,
so he/she wishes to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is
maintained over here.

September 17, 2013 at 5:09 am
(69) Dev says:

It would be nice to hear about some “roti multiplying itself” phenomena that occurred in the 1970s in South Africa if not in the world. Dev

September 17, 2013 at 5:57 am
(70) Nirvani says:

To Guleira,

What a waste of your life in this world. Even being an Atheist, still you are relying upon this God-given gift of LIFE. Try to find out who you are bastard first. Our HINDUISM has this answer for you and all those hypocrites who declare to be wise, why don’t you go and find deep down your true identity, WHAT IS YOUR REAL SEED AND WHERE DO YOU COME FROM AND WHERE WERE YOU BEFORE YOU ARE HERE, AND WHERE WOULD YOU GO, AFTER LEAVING FROM HERE???? STUPID FOOLS, DO NOT CRITICIZE MY DEAR AND LOVING GANESHA. ABSORPTION OF THE MILK PHENOMENON WAS ONLY A VISION and REALITY TO SHOW THAT THE LORD IS OMNIPRESENT . OUR FAITH IN THIS MODERN ERA SHOULD NOT DIMINISH. INSTEAD IT SHOULD GROW AT ITS HIGHEST PEAK, BECAUSE AT EVERY ERA, EVOLUTION HAPPENS, THAT WHERE THERE IS A RISE OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, INSTEAD OF VIRTUES, PREVAILING
LOOK INTO THIS PRESENT DAY OF OUR LIFE, rape, stealing, killing , bullying and witchcraft to win something in life and see also what sort of punishment we are having the universe unbalance, floods, rains, unexplained diseases and death rates. So what have you done to save your dearest ones or your own self by being an Atheist. No-one has asked your opinion about Ganesha, stay in your rotted corner if you are a psycho, do not paralyze this place which has not come from your rotten belief. Find your own place somewhere in the Universe, which is still God- Creation anywhere else and beyond your dirty psycho mind’s reach. To have success in life only comes after hard work, where the individual has immense happiness after accomplishing it. This is the true Essence in Life.

September 17, 2013 at 9:03 am
(71) sakuntala Ramaswamy says:

Yes, I also experienced the Miracle! I was at that time in Colambo..We were all in the Sai-center,singing Bhjans..After the Bhajan scession was
over,some body came running to us bringing the hot news about the Ganeshji in the near by temple was drinking milk.unable to control our
curiacity, we headed to the temple, instead our homes.!!There the spectacle was really amazing. all the milk fed to Ganeshjee went into his tummy, not a drop spilled out.! I also fed him with lot of love,he also drank happily.What thrill and excitement we had that day.!!
Sakuntala Ramaswamy,
Singapore.

September 17, 2013 at 10:06 am
(72) Raj Souri says:

It’s was a divine experience that cannot be forgotten. Blessed to be part of this phenomenal. Jai Ganesha!

September 18, 2013 at 7:28 am
(73) Saroja says:

Yes, I also offered milk to lord Ganesha and it did disappear ! Miracles do happen!

September 22, 2013 at 8:47 am
(74) sujit says:

i was into my 10th standard. I started preparing for tomorrow’s exam late in the evening. One of my friend came knocking the door and asked me whether i would be interesting in watching a miracle. We travelled with milk bowl and could see already stream of people gathered around ganesha temple. I watched with curious mind, as the idol was small and over a slab, no milk was seeping out of the idol but rather lord ganesha gulp milk one bowl after the other.

When our turn came it happened !!!
I was busy with my exam preparation and the topic was drowned in day to day activity. My parents and brother were out with work. I forgot to share but i fondly remember that phenomena.

Certain things should be left as it is. If people feel to express their experience let them be but don’ poke your nose.

September 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm
(75) Teena says:

Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this web site, and article is actually fruitful in support
of me, keep up posting these types of content.

October 25, 2013 at 8:23 pm
(76) Ammy says:

Let me give you an explanation to all this.
with due respect for all religions here, I am going to give a logical explanation to this but please do not be offended!
I read this today 24th October 2013- 3 years later after the above people wrote.
the explanation to this is.
Jinn- Jinn are Creatures Like human beings… they Eat, sleep, have families like us, they marry and have children too. What differentiates them from us is their Power and ability to posses things, either human beings, animals, tress or even IDOLS. They can also transform themselves into different creatures too.

I know you all will be wondering ‘What the hell is she talking about?’
Well this is what We Muslims believe in. We Believe IN one God, Allah!

Coming back to my explanation… Jinn make People believe in idols by possessing them so that they do not believe in ALLAH! and believe that their are loads of GODS around
which are not.

Jinns do that because they are in the army of IBLIS (satan) who disobeyed God and was made into a SATAN from an Angel.

if you read Quran you will believe in One God only!

November 28, 2013 at 3:23 am
(77) air jordan 28 retro says:

Howdy! I hope you do not mind but I decided to submit your web site: %BLOGURL% to my online directory. I used, “%BLOGTITLE%” as your blog title. I hope this is alright with you. If you’d like me to change the title or remove it completely, e-mail me at %EMAIL%. Thank you.
air jordan 28 retro http://www.thesingularwe.org/air-jordan-28.aspx

February 10, 2014 at 4:02 pm
(78) Ashok says:

I was in First standard when this Miraculous event took place, To be frank on that day, my Dad brought new Lord Ganesh Murthi and I myself offered milk to lord Ganesha, and frankly speaking lord Ganesha idol dunk milk. But after that event I tried myself many times but it didn’t happened. And I haven’t heard any clarifying explanation from Scientist. Truly It’s a Miracle, which will going to be written in the history.

February 22, 2014 at 7:02 am
(79) Shelton says:

This is an addictive game, so you do not have to worry about whether or not you will have time for it, because you will automatically make time to play this game. When you want to lose weight, reducing calorie intake is one part of the equation, but you will also want to consider burning some extra calories through activity.

April 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm
(80) Sebastiaan Koning says:

LS! Ever since I was young I had something going with Ganesha! This God is very important in Buddhism and Hinduïsm. My mother gave me a book about Ganesha on one of my many birthdays. In my view Ganesha is a guardian God in Buddhism and an important God for children in general. Sincerely!

April 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm
(81) Sebastiaan Koning says:

LS! Certainly I hope Lord Ganesha is here to stay!