1. Religion & Spirituality

The full moon day in the Hindu month of Ashad (July-August) is observed as Guru Purnima, an auspicious occasion to celebrate the guru. This year it falls on July 22.

Guru Purnima is a day sacred to the memory of the great sage Vyasa, the guru of gurus and 'father of our scriptures'. All Hindus are indebted to this ancient saint who edited the four Vedas, wrote the 18 Puranas, the Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavata.

Learn more about its significance and how to celebrate this auspicious moment.

Related Articles:

Comments
July 5, 2012 at 12:09 am
(1) saral vandana says:

Hindus observe the full moon day in the month of Ashad (July-August) as Guru Purnima. Also known as Vyas Purnima and is celebrated as the great sage Vyasa’s birthday.
Legend
This was the day, when Krishna-dwaipayana Vyasa – author of the Mahabharata and the Srimad Bhagavata – was born to sage Parashara and fisher woman Satyavati, thus this day is also celebrated as Vyasa Purnima. Veda Vyasa, did yeoman service to the cause of Vedic studies by gathering all the Vedic hymns extant during his times, dividing them into four parts based on their use in the sacrificial rites, and teaching them to his four chief disciples – Paila, Vaisampayana, Jaimini and Sumantu.
He divided the Veda into four, namely Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharva. The histories and the Puranas are said to be the fifth Veda – Brahmanda Purana. He is also the author of the Brahma Sutras – the essence of Vedanta. Vyasa even taught Dattatreya, who is regarded as the Guru of Gurus.
Significance
The day of Guru Purnima has great significance for spiritual sadhaks and farmers. All spiritual aspirants and devotees worship Vyasa in honour of his divine personage.
After bath, worship the lotus feet of your Guru, or his image or picture with flowers, fruits, incense and camphor. Fast or take only milk and fruits the whole day. In the afternoon, sit with other devotees of your Guru and discuss with them the glories and teachings of your Guru.
The day also finds a great importance for farmers. The period ‘Chaturmas’ (“four months”) begins from this day. The water, drawn up and stored as clouds in the hot summer, now manifests in plentiful showers that brings fresh life everywhere.

If you wish to perform Guru Purnima Puja – go
http://saralvandana.org/index.php/hindipujas/vrats -a-kathas?view=helloworlds&id=51&layout=view

and watch the pray-along videos to perform your puja.

Source: http://www.saralvandana.org
Worlds Biggest Hinduism Resource

July 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(2) shanti maharaj says:

the well of information given about hinduism is so very enlightening for me. knowledge becomes empowering when we can use it to benefit our souls and those around us. i often reflect on my mother always telling me hinduism aka sanatan dharma is truly like the sandal wood tree diffusing its fragrancel for the peoples of the world this unfolding of beautiful knowledge gives me the vision the strength to indulge in beautiful conversations of bharats glorious tools for mankind if only he or she takes a moment to inhale its beautiful and soothing balm. more and more the joy of being .born in a hindu home in this lifetime is truly a divine gift to me thru my beloved mothers womb. i say vande mataram. we shall continue to stand the test of time as we celibrate life in divinity

July 23, 2013 at 4:01 am
(3) http://GeorgeTGFN.tblog.com/ says:

It’s in fact very complex in this active life to listen news on Television, so I just use internet for that purpose, and get the most up-to-date news.

July 24, 2013 at 4:37 am
(4) http://factu.al/fs1bs says:

Feel free to visit my web-site … pit 38 za 2013 (http://factu.al/fs1bs)

July 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(5) baju batik says:

Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful
information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.

July 26, 2013 at 10:53 am
(6) russian orthodox church los angeles says:

Ιt’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

July 27, 2013 at 7:03 am
(7) Fanny says:

What’s up, yes this paragraph is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.

July 27, 2013 at 8:16 am
(8) Deborah says:

Mix distinct varieties of sauces and eat it. This time, Gibson nearly single-handedly beat his
foe.

July 29, 2013 at 2:31 am
(9) kids soccer socks with shin guards kids soccer turf shoes kim kardashian dita insider sunglasses kimberly clark blue shop towels kimpex atv boxes kindergarten daily schedule format kings 2010 nhl draft picks kiper 2010 nfl draft grades kips bay chargers f says:

I love to disseminate understanding that will I have accumulated
with the season to help enhance group functionality.