1. Religion & Spirituality

Subhamoy Das

Goddess Kali Presides over Spice Mints!

By June 8, 2010

Would you mind a Hindu deity on your food or confectionery package? The Seattle based Archie McPhee is selling mints branded as Curry Flavored Kali Mints that feature Goddess Kali on top of its round tin lid with a mint pellet on her tongue.

The Hindu community in the United States feels it is inappropriate to use Hindu deities and concepts for commercial purposes. Rajan Zed, who is president of the Universal Society of Hinduism, stressed that the Goddess Kali is revered highly in Hinduism and is meant to be worshiped in temples and not used for selling mints. Symbols of any faith, large or small, should not be mishandled, he said. Bhavna Shinde of the Forum for Hindu Awakening has termed such usage of Kali as "upsetting and denigrating". She urged the company to recall the product, and should not make such products which trivialize sacred symbols of faith.

Does Archie McPhee know who or what is Kali? The product's description seems to suggest so: "Kali is a Hindu goddess that represents death, destruction, time and change. And what food comes to mind when you think of death, destruction, time and change? Curry! These exotic spice mints are great on their own or as an accompaniment to basmati rice and garlic naan. Each 2-1/4" round tin contains one hundred mints."

The online store sells some weird stuff such as cat and dog Buddha statues, and a host of Jesus Christ novelty products, like Jesus action figures, Jesus bandages, etc. It also sells some useful things like Indian moral story posters, perhaps owing to its novelty value for US consumers. While some Hindu groups are calling for the company to recall the mints and never to take religious figures lightly again in their products, Archie McPhee will not discontinue or recall Kali Mints, a company spokesperson stated.

Are you offended by this use of Kali on mint tins? Or is it okay for you and a condonable act? Please post a comment and have your say!

Comments
June 8, 2010 at 2:51 am
(1) Shrihariprasad says:

Hindu groups and human rights groups should protest vigorously. ONly when the voice of the people is heard will these commercial groups stop their insulting behaviour.

June 8, 2010 at 3:15 am
(2) prasad says:

I went to the macphee website, while your article suggests that they treat all religions with irreverence, all the items relating to Jesus Christ put him in a very good light and there is absolutely no irreverence whatsoever. The jesus action figures and bandages might be useful even for evangelisation!!! The irreverence is reserved for harmless religions like Hinduism and Buddhism – there is nothing about the Prophet Mohammed or Islam. This is just another attack on Hinduism

June 8, 2010 at 3:22 am
(3) rekha says:

Any depiction of God from any faith in this manner is disgraceful. To become unique one should not hurt others sentiments.

For all westerners India is this unique country and being they do not understand and the only way they can relate to it is by relating it to something they can eat, cause eating is the religion for people in the US and they cannot think of anything other than that. It also shows how much grey cells they have and their creativity is restricted to only making fun of others and their religious sentiments. Also what can one expect from a country that wears its national flag as bikini!

June 8, 2010 at 3:37 am
(4) George says:

I agree, no one has the right to disrespect another’s religion! There should be an apology and also remove the mints! Just because I may not believe or understand another does not give me the right to ridicule!

June 8, 2010 at 3:43 am
(5) salil says:

Having learnt so much about Hinduism through Subhamoy’s efforts all I can pray is that Wisdom dawns upon every one.Such illusions can not distract the wise.
Lots of Love & Regards to your readers.

June 8, 2010 at 4:09 am
(6) Peter says:

This is a delibrate attempt by the manufacturers to demonise Hinduism and such an attitude must not be tolerated. Without demonstration in the streets the product will not be recalled. I challenge the manufacturers to insult Islam in the same way they have insulted the Hindus.!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2010 at 4:35 am
(7) Chetan says:

Not only is it wrong to depict Gods (of any religion) to promote commercial products in this manner but I think the idea of curry flavoured mints is a stupid one in the first place. Poor marketing for an equally poor product. Only in America!

June 8, 2010 at 4:50 am
(8) Deivikaram says:

I am an Hindu and I revere and worship mother Kali. So are billions of Hindus. I suppose advertisers in US follow certain code of conduct and one of these must be not to show disrespect towards dieties worshipped by major religious groups.

June 8, 2010 at 5:04 am
(9) Kamat Venkatesh says:

I would say they have to portrail our god for giving positive message not as an example of distruction.

In other sense they have to portail Jesus as help less god. they can quote

” Jesus was helpless when nailed to cross, to bring spice in these situation, use masala mint”.

June 8, 2010 at 6:03 am
(10) aditi bhattacharya says:

If the same was done with Muslims, the company would have been wiped off from this earth by now!
We Hindus are “tolerant” and hence we are ridiculed. We simply put up with such behavior and that’s why even after pointing out the same to McPhee, he remains insensitive to the sentiments of the consumers.
Boycott his products at least and build awareness among people there.
How can you expect them to know about Indian Gods!

June 8, 2010 at 6:05 am
(11) Dr R.B.Singh says:

This is getting out of control with Hindu dieties depicted on underwear,shoes,bags and now on mints. We need to should these mutts that we are serious and perhaps threaten them them with violence, if they do cease their activities.

we need to organise protest marches and single out these companies for ridicule. Also I am sure that there is a law in the Us that protects religions from redicule.

June 8, 2010 at 6:15 am
(12) Faezal says:

Sacrilege! Hindus are peace-loving but should protest such blatant commercialization. Had the subject been Islamic, the Moslems would’ve issued a Fatwa by now!

June 8, 2010 at 6:41 am
(13) karthik says:

Those were great lines by Mr.Venkatesh
This is a cheap marketing trick.
I saw in a channel that a women was wearing a shoe with LORD KRISHNA’S picture printed on it.
I want you all to TONGUE-LASH those Mcphee by mailing them at unicorn@mcphee.com

June 8, 2010 at 8:01 am
(14) S. Girija Nair says:

Yes such advt. should be condoned.

June 8, 2010 at 8:57 am
(15) srinivasan k iyer says:

If the american company has any regard for other religious faiths, Obama, who is an ardent devotee of Lord.Hanuman and who has His Photograph in his pocket always as well, how his fellow americans let him down in a very cheap fashion for their products to sell, is highly to be admonished and let that be any religion for that matter, such a incorrigible attempt to malign the reputation and the feelings of crores of Hindus as wll as other religions , is to be stopped atonce and not a second to be wasted as otherwise the company will have to meet its own collapse automatically by its Bad Karma….As you sow so you reap..is the faith of the HInduism. let them indulge in such cheap publicity at the cost of hurting other fellow brethern as well. There are umpteen number of other ways their products can be sold . This is thrid rated cheap ad as they do not the Power Of Godess Maha Kali…Durga Devi…OmniPotent,Omniscient and OmniPresent….

June 8, 2010 at 10:04 am
(16) D.B. Myrrha says:

First off, nice job, Dr. Singh. Yes, let’s just threaten people with violence. First let’s kid ourselves that Hindus are peaceful, and that only Muslims are prone to violence. Then, even more to the point, let’s go out of the way to disprove it. Because returning violence for silliness is the will of the Lord. Doesn’t Lord Krishna say that in the Gita?

Okay. Sarcasm off.

Having lived in the region for many years, I LOVE Archie McPhee (which is a company, by the way, not a person; hence, “it” not “him”) In fact, I was just telling my boyfriend (who is Hindu) that I was going to take him there. Now seems like the perfect time.

I understand not wanting one’s religion to be demeaned by being lowered to nothing more than fashion or advertising (the whole Krishna shoe thing is really inappropriate, for example. Someone certainly didn’t do their cultural homework) However, I would venture to say that, in a religion in which the image is revered (i.e. Hinduism) as opposed to forbidden (i.e Islam), you are going to find that image for sale everywhere, and people (even Hindus) are buying.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy. In the U.S., everything is commercialized, everything is for sale, and nothing is sacred.
From what I’ve seen of India (granted not much yet, I travel there for the first time this summer) *everything* is sacred, yet a lot of it is for sale, too.

I rest assured that the gods are not attached to these worldly matters, and, in fact, regard us and our little outrages with great humor.

My spiritual teachers taught me to approach the gods with mirth and reverence. I can laugh at Kali mints. You know why? Because I know that if Kali doesn’t like it, she can certainly take care of herself.

June 8, 2010 at 10:20 am
(17) Rushe says:

Most business people would never think of trying to market Jesus mints in the U.S., this is just another bad marketing idea. Tin design could easily look “Indian” without being offensive to Hindus.

June 8, 2010 at 11:28 am
(18) bluescrubbie says:

Hey everybody, how about we don’t join in on the Intolerance Race-to-the-Bottom that’s been a-sweepin’ the nation and the world lately? When the Joe Six-Pack president told the US rabble that we wouldn’t abide by racism and intolerance, they grumbled and stayed mostly quiet. Now that we have a non-lily-white president, the cat’s out of the bag, and they’re screaming years of pent-up infantilism. As tempting as it may be to jump on that bandwagon, PLEASE DON’T JOIN IN!!! The vast majority of us are better than that kind of crap. There’s little you can’t laugh off – ask the Buddha.

June 8, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(19) Nirvani says:

Mankind undergo stages of evolution. It is shameful for those racists americans who are jealous of Hindus and all the legacies of Hinduism, which still up to day fit in our society. I am Maa Kali devotee. I was in severe trouble, I wept and ask for Her help. She appeared on a rock at my place, and I am very happy now. Those people who want to degrade Her, are just sailing in opposite water and asking trouble for themselves. I know it, deep down my heart that She likes to be given due respect and love as She is the Mother of the whole creation and also the Deity of justice. Dear Hindu brothers and sisters, what that company has done, has only invited Our most Beloved Maa Kali to their destruction. We shall not fight or destroy them as we have faith in Our Dearest and Loved Mother to fix them, for we know the limitlessness of Her power in settling with injustice. Our faith will grow day by day and we shall soon see the Divine Shakti of Our Most Beloved Mother. This earth and mankind is all conceived out of Her love. We shall not fight for a jihad as Our Mother is not a weak in Herself. Our sorrows for Her humiliation and our true love for this injustice will arise Her Manifestation. Hinduism is and will always be a religion of truth and peace, as we are near to our God who manifest to our call in all times since the creations. Remember Kalki Avatar is on His way to restore this Universe again. Dear Hindus, let’s keep our peace and our faith in Our Maa Kali. Om Shanti.

June 8, 2010 at 5:53 pm
(20) Bhakti says:

Yes I am offended by this use of Kali on mint tins

June 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm
(21) BlackJack says:

Good god. You people need to LIGHTEN UP. Your imaginary friends will still be there for you, except now you can waste your time worshiping fictional characters with a delicious mint to take the taste of gullible out of your mouths.

June 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(22) Barbara says:

With all my respect to all religions and spiritual philosophies I think Jesus put it well when he said:
‘Forgive them because they do not know what they are doing’. We all have errors of judgements sometimes. I would think that the great powers of the universe will look down on these earth children who produced this mint with forgiveness as loving parents look at their children with love that is unconditional.

June 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm
(23) Kristi says:

Did you miss the “Last Supper” mints? Before blathering on about how no one would ever do this to a Western Religion, I suggest you do the tiniest amount of homework. As a Catholic, I wasn’t offended. When you can’t have a sense of humor about your religion, that’s where it tends to veer into dangerous territory.

June 8, 2010 at 8:42 pm
(24) John says:

Thank you, Kristi, for saying what I as an Agnostic couldn’t say.

June 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm
(25) Rev Nagi Mato says:

Why so serious folks? Isn’t one of the greatest teachings to not attach? Seems many of you are judging what is “right” and “wrong”. Hmm, not very enlightened, in my opinion…(sorry, that is judgement, as well)

June 9, 2010 at 10:05 am
(26) srinivasan k iyer says:

Hi Nirvani, please dont use abusive terms like B…s if you are an ardent devotee of Maa.Kali.That is not the preachings of our Vedas. Be cool and as you rightly said Maa.Kali will take care of them.. Belive in that faith….

June 9, 2010 at 11:40 am
(27) Satyajit Nadkarni says:

These are mints and a company is marketing them. Sure it would be great if Kali was copyrighted material, then we could all sue. But the fact is, Kali is what she is in our minds.

She is the all protective, the fierce Mother.

Don’t think tin cans and mints can change that. It is true that most Americans wouldn’t bother putting anything remotely Islamic in terms of imagery on food. Because they don’t know any imagery associated with Islam.

Hindu Gods and Goddesses are much more accessible.

And while the image of Kali is being used for commercial purposes, the cultural context in which it is being used is not violating the principle of respecting the authority.

This issue is more about sensitivity. it’s easy for Americans to say get over it, but then they are not used to a cultural background such as ours.

Respect for religions comes from sensitivity towards the adherents and followers, not from just respecting religious beliefs universally.

June 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm
(28) John says:

” it’s easy for Americans to say get over it, but then they are not used to a cultural background such as ours.”

That’s rather elitist.

June 9, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(29) gemspackle says:

No, it isn’t especially in good taste. But , then humor isn’t always such. I’m sorta Hindu related, and it did not offend me to see Hindu god (esses) finger puppets or a package of Kali matches. In fact, I bought some of each.
While this sort of product may offend some humans, I can assure you that it doesn’t bother lady K..
Get over yourselves!
The native north americans have had to watch while Ford motors named piece of s**t vehicles after their power animals. They learned to live with it.
I suppose we English speakers should also be offended by Japanese and Detroit automobiles that are named after prostituted english words…Achieve, Sentra, Rav, and others.
Yuo ought to see pious christians turn red over “Christ on the Cross” jokes!

June 9, 2010 at 8:06 pm
(30) Mahabir says:

All I can say is that, management in Archie McPhee are ignorant people. They will not survive for too long nor will their business. It is poor publicity and marketing for them already. Maa Kali is Shakti and this Shakti will take care of their (McPhee) unappropriate work. We should not protest nor should we write bad words about other religion. This shows our weakness and our lack of trust in Maa Kali. She will take care of it for us all.

June 9, 2010 at 10:07 pm
(31) Dhanya says:

This is rather disturbing. Nobody has the right to make ridicule of Hindu or Any religion figures or subject.

June 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm
(32) Victor says:

I think it’s perfectly acceptable to make and sell these mints. Kali is not a “brand” that needs defending, just like Buddha or Christ are not brands that might suffer from some decay in the mass culture if someone were to use these symbols lightly.

Those that seek deeper meaning and want to understand the importance of this deity will continue to do so, whereas those that enjoy the “impulse buy” that a mint tin with Kali offers might enjoy that too.

So what’s my issue ? My issue would be with the fascist, conservative indians—both on this comment board as well as in India—that are so quick to take offense. As an indian myself, I am alarmed by such narrowmindedness and lack of tolerance for people with other points of view(or commercial intentions that don’t jibe with the way I want to do things).

Live and let live. Trust me, if Kali cares, she’ll handle this guy’s profit margin.

June 10, 2010 at 5:13 am
(33) Bal swami from UK says:

I strongly object to practice chosen by westrent word againt Sanatan GODS or IDLES
IF they donot havey any value of their own culture that isnot mean they should add asalut on other religions

June 10, 2010 at 9:08 am
(34) Anand says:

Being a hindu and follow the high values of such a great religion, I cannot accept the way the advertisement is made in US about goddess Kali. We are the largest number of people of one religion living in one country (exeption communist China) and we are the most tolerable sect living in the world compared to other religious believers. I protest strongly against such disrespectful advertisement for self interest and benefit which is against our belief and culture.

June 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(35) Seajay says:

Hindu gods and goddesses are visible everywhere in India on commercial packaging of all kinds, from plastic bags from shops, etc. ad infinitum. So what? God Sells. And the enormously corrupt Godmen in India, many of whom are hereditary temple priests, know this well. God is a business. Get over it. As far as rights go, the right to ridicule is protected by the US Constitution. So you you can protest all you like, a right also protected by the US Constitution, but it will have no affect at all. Of course the biggest offender to Hindu Gods was the Indian E.V. Ramasamy, AKA Periyar, who said with Great Brevity, that in Fact THEY DON’T EXIST!!! Ever consider that possibility?

June 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(36) Ganesh Chaturvedi says:

I am 90 years of age and these days living in Chicago.Why not stop buying all itms made or sold by this company as Gandhi Ji did in India For foreign goods.These printed imeges of thr Mother Kali can not trouble her as the biological mother does not curse or punish any one of her children misbehaving with her. But it is the duty of the elder children to stop the insultinng re
fences for their mother.So Hindus in this country or inIndia should act to ensure that no disrespect is shown to the Mother or any other diety.You have to act and not hope that God will do what you shoulddo.Do not hate any one and also not allow others to make fun of your beliefs.
with best wishes .Ganesh

June 10, 2010 at 8:52 pm
(37) Sonali says:

We all should come together and protest against such upsetting products. Our strength lies in unity. Ban on such production company. I know organizations called Forum For Hindu Awakening, Hindu janajagruti samiti which always holds such campaigns against denigration. I request them to do some thing against.

June 11, 2010 at 6:25 am
(38) Rob Lundy says:

Wow, if this isn’t alarmist bu****it then I don’t know what is. This is hardly a reason to be upset. Just because someone put a image of a deity, which really can only be considered a man made representation of said god (the likely hood of it being a photo of them is low) on the cover of a box of mints is in no way disrespectful to the religion. There are far worse things that the god could be doing then enjoying a mint… come on people.

June 12, 2010 at 6:55 am
(39) Divya says:

Why is everyone getting so upset!!! It is pure ignorance and should not outrage anyone who loves and admire their own gods. All religious groups happen to be in the same boat. I grew up being taught that it really does not matter what other people think. If I cared what other people thought I would not have converted to Hinduism or moved to New Delhi. Come on guys you are a cut above this. And on top of it all it is all MAYA! Let god worry about it.

June 14, 2010 at 8:31 am
(40) D Singh says:

It is gross disrespect to the Hindu community throughout the world. The company should be legally challenged to have the religious connection removed from their product.

June 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm
(41) Sateesh says:

The use of Kali Maa for the marketing of this company’s mints shows just how ethnocentric these people are. They have trivialised other religions in the pursuit of money and their own agenda. This action by this company shows a great disrespect for Hindus across the world. Their products should be boycotted. Their refusal to remove Kali Maa’s image from their product also shows how insensensitive they are about other people’s culture and beliefs even though Hindus across the world are offended.

June 15, 2010 at 3:34 am
(42) D. Singh says:

Everyone is getting down on this Archie Mc Phee’s throat about the name of these mints but no one is even suggesting a name to him. Maybe he had chosen that name with good intentions thinking that these mints would bring him mints of money. I personally think that he had named these mints without even thinking of offending us Hindus. Please everyone give this man a break and thank you all. My suggestion to him is simply name these mints “Kali’s Curry flavored Mints” and choose a few curry leaves as the logo instead of Mother Kali picture. Archie Mc Phee you should really think about this one! Thank you Archie Mc Phee if you do happen to read this.
With all respect Hindu in Toronto.

June 15, 2010 at 3:38 am
(43) Jai Krishan Sharma says:

Social harmony living people take care that by their action none is hurt. We should respect each others religion. It has become one of the most common features now-a-days that some of the companies are selling their product by giving some provocative messages. Such sensational news/ advertisements attracts the attention of common people and in this sensational situation their product is sold many fold with curiosity. Such tendencies should be curved by enacting an international law so that nobody hurts religious faith of people in the name of sale. We can term these action notorious ones. After eating this so called mint the rapper would be thrown on the ground and a person believing in hindu religion, will definitely feel awkward when an image of one of his deities is rolling on the ground beneath his feet. As a protest, all products of such companies should be boycotted to teach a lesson to others also not to use such business tactics.

June 15, 2010 at 5:28 am
(44) Nair says:

D.B. Myrrha, u said it!!!

Please guys, who decides it is ok to sell gods on t-shirts, bhajan cd’s and incense sticks (agarbattis) but wrong to sell using mints…… We all have our own idea of right and wrong. Hence this company used its judgement call to market their products.

June 15, 2010 at 8:59 am
(45) DINESH KAPUR says:

I GUESS THIS IS JUST WASTE OF TIME THAT YOU GUYS WANT TO STOP THE COMPANY OR IS IT SOME TYPE OF ACT SO THAT THE COMPANY HAS TO PAY SOME ROYALTY AS THEY HAVE PUT THE PIC OF GODDESS KALI ON THEIR PRODUCT W/O PERMISSION.IN INDIA GANESH BIDI HAS A GANESH PIC ON IT WHICH IS THROWN ON THE GROUND AND THE GARBAGE CAN . THERE NO ONE SAYS ANYTHING IF YOU WANT I HAVE THE PICTURES ALSO FOR YOUR REFERENCE . PLS SEND ME A MAIL ADD AND I WILL SEND IT TO YOU .

June 15, 2010 at 9:40 am
(46) srinivasan k iyer says:

Hi Dinesh, its just ridiculous to justify to one wrong done by some one into this. there is no comparison of what so ever…wrong is wrong and it could not be other wise . no one needs to popularise their brands be that as it may be agarbathis,t shirts or mints or even chocolates or any damn bloody thing on this earth. if you have any feelings please decry this despicable act of mcphee hurting the feelings of a millions of hindus in a nasty manner … does it not hurt you brother …its a shame then that people like you will ever live to support atrocities in the name of an ad …

June 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm
(47) Cicca says:

OK folks time for a reality check.
First off the company showes if nothing else poor taste.
It is not an “Attack” of any sort… They do not mean to demean defame or otherwise make fun of anyone. They thought hmm… what will make our product stand out and some dweeb with a pocket protector said err how about… the funny part is I am sure they ran this through the test markets with out anyone whining!
Now here me on this point Americans 99% of the time respect others religions I know I DO. I am married to an Indian most of my friends are indian and guess what they read this and feel sad for Indians! Why because you are sitting here taking a simple debate about marketing decisions and turining it into something its not IE A rant about how bad, fat,lazy, unpatriotic,racist we are.
Well kids your dead wrong. Just as not all Indians are poor un educated slobs that live in squaller who refuse to speak to outsiders and insist on in breeding.
There are always diffrent ways to look at things.
Calling out A country as a whole opens a can of worms that is better left un discovered.
The company should recall the product but if they don’t have any idea how many spice packets are in our cubard with some God or Goddesses face on it???
Tons! This company is not the first They won’t be the last and everyone just needs to relax because unless theres some joke attached to it they mean no harm!
Get over yourselves already, by saying some of the things that I have read above I can tell you that your not true to your religion at all….
Krishna would never condone someone calling others names because of someone elses error… Nothing more then an error in judgement.

June 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm
(48) cicca says:

Oh I guess this comapny should be bashed and the country of origin should be verbaly assulted as well…
Sweet ! Too bad for you this is an indian based company!
Just lil FYI!

June 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm
(49) Etienne D. says:

“The Hindu community in the United States feels it is inappropriate to use Hindu deities and concepts for commercial purposes.”

When I was last in Kerala, one was hard-pressed to find a store which wasn’t named after a deity. I have fond memories of eating at Ganga’s. I was perplexed by Infant Jesus Motorworks, a tiny tire shop on the fringes of Munnar. In Maharashtra, we rode Ganesh rickshaws all over Pune. In Canada, you can buy Ganesh-brand incense at most esoterica stores.

If these corporate appellations are reverential, it would be naive to think that they do not also serve a marketing purpose. It seems to me as though the real issue here isn’t so much that a deity is being associated with a product, or even that the image is in some way modernized to integrate said product (if you have never seen Ganesh with a laptop, get on with the times). The problem seems to be that non-Hindus are appropriating a sacred Hindu concept for profane purposes.

As a non-Hindu believer in the unity of all religious truth, I think the purists’ infuriation is unfortunate. If the product can give Kali Ma more visibility then the world is a better place for it.

Om Krim Kâliké Namah!

June 21, 2010 at 4:37 am
(50) Neeta Raina says:

The concept of reverence is different in the West but do I ascribe to it? No.

I once watched a Dave Letterman show in the US where the idea of fun was to thrown bread slices at every one. The west is a culture where smearing cakes on birthdays and weddings is acceptable. In India the philosophy is to take from nature the bare minimum that you need for sustenance. Which is better of the two?

We touched feet to show respect. The British thought we were ready to be enslaved. Who has a higher thinking?

Mint on Godess Kali’s tounge ? That surely is in bad taste! Pun not intended.

July 5, 2010 at 12:20 am
(51) Alpheus says:

Devotees aught to be happy – being surrounded by images of gods and goddesses! I would gladly wear a shirt with Lord Krishna on it, share mints with the image of the Goddess Kali, or skate on a board emblazoned with Lord Ganesha (who isn’t afraid of obstacles while skateboarding?!). Anyhow, there is not a better response to the ubiquity of Christ paraphernalia than some Kali mints!

July 5, 2010 at 2:28 am
(52) Alpheus says:

Prasad says: “all the items relating to Jesus Christ put him in a very good light and there is absolutely no irreverence whatsoever. ” This is not true at all! The Christ action figures are regarded as blasphemously by fundamental Christians as many devotees seem to feel about the Hindu deities. To underscore this point, I would recommend you watch the film Dogma (by Kevin Smith). In it, the comedian, and outspoken atheist, George Carlson displays the Buddy Christ doll. Fundamental Christians boycotted the film. Although people might ‘misuse’ sacred images in the eyes of some Santanti, it is impossible to know what minds may be lit by the images of the deities, wherever they might be found: “As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Pritha.” -Bhagavad-Gita IV.11

March 3, 2011 at 2:28 am
(53) deva says:

idiotic and foolish how can some one dare to use our mothers face in this way, all hindus must protest

November 4, 2011 at 1:14 am
(54) a1579959 says:

I’ve said that least 1579959 times. The problem this like that is they are just too compilcated for the average bird, if you know what I mean