1. Religion & Spirituality
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Discuss in my forum

The Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act 2005, which came into effect on September 9, 2005 removes the gender discriminatory provisions in the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 and gives a number of rights to daughters taking them on a par with sons... GO
September 21, 2007 at 9:48 am
(1) shubham anand says:

good enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 at 6:19 pm
(2) Muralidhar says:

On Hindu Succession act.
Mr A, a retired man takes a loan from the bank to build his house, with his natural son as the surety, who in turn repays all the loans. Mr A dies a few years after Mr A’s son has repaid the loan completely. Mr A dies intestate. He leaves behind his widow, the son who repaid the loan & a married daughter. Under these circumstances who is the rightful successor of the house. Please advise

May 1, 2008 at 2:21 am
(3) N K SHARMA says:

can married females also take a share under Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005 or is it only for unmarried females

May 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm
(4) hinduism says:

I don’t think marriage is an issue here. However, you can consult http://indiaimage.nic.in/. Thanks

November 11, 2008 at 6:41 am
(5) Venkatakrishnan says:

My father in law has succeeded his ancestral
property and wrote a will out of his 6/10 share to his wife to enjoy the rental out the
house,left,after her demice the all
4sons,4daughters can get enjoy the property
equally.But remaining 4 shares left to
his 4sons.Now mother in law expired in 2007
But sons give equal share to daughters out of
father’s share (ie.6/10 share)only and not from general remaining 4/10 share.But daughters don’t accept it, they need equal share from whole house as per Hindu Succession
Act 2005Amendment from 9.9.2005., (ie 1/8).
My querry is that will the demand for equal
share by 4 daughters are correct,pl. answer.
Thank You.

November 13, 2008 at 1:05 am
(6) hinduism says:

Please see if this helps. Thanks http://www.indiankanoon.com/doc/1291956/

March 7, 2009 at 2:52 am
(7) shivani says:

My father had a self earned property which went to my mother after his death, as natural owner and none of children objected to that. Now she has willed it to her 3 sons out of 4 sons and 2 daughters ( 1 widow and 1 married), and she died.There seems to be fishy about the framing of will also.
My question is how the will is being done and how hindu succession act 2004 is applicable here.

March 7, 2009 at 3:00 am
(8) shivani says:

My father died 5 years ago with his self earned property which went to his wife. My mother who died recently willed it to her 3 sons out of 6 children including 2 daughters ( 1widow and 1 married). My question is –
1. Can she will such property
2. Can she leave 3 of her children without any thing
3. What are the major criteria of writing a will, only stamp paper is enough with one signature of her sister.
4. How Hindu Succession act 2004 can be applicable for daughters in this case
5. There seems to be something fishy in the whole case how to find out.

May 25, 2009 at 12:57 am
(9) chandrasekhar says:

My father and my bigdad (father’s elder brother) had received the property from ancestors. They both have passed away in 2003 and 2004 respectively. both have died intestate. Now we like to share the property as first class legal heirs. my bigdad leaves behind his widow and two sons. my father leaves behind his widow, son and two daughters who were married.

1. Can the daughters become the coparceners of the property by virtue of their birth.
2. How to enter into the partition deed.

June 5, 2009 at 4:13 am
(10) chandrasekhar says:

My father have some property. He aquired it s some from his father and some fromrelatevies as gift the gift deeds were registered.
suddenly he was died in accident.
when he was alive he performed the marriage of me and his ealder daughter. he wrote a will stating that if he was not done the marriage of his younger daughter , the marriage may be made with consulting with his wife. accordingly i made the marriage of my elder sister. after that my mother was also died. recently i built a house, at that time i brought the loan from lic . they asked that signature of the younger daughter was also required. then she made the signatures in that papers. at present she filed a suite that she has the right in the property, and producing the papers as she was signed in the lic loan papers. signing in the loan papaers gives the right to her as already my father wrote the will before he dies.pl give me the answer on lic papers signing
thanking you.

June 9, 2009 at 4:36 am
(11) Dinesh says:

My Grandad Bought a house in 1950. He had 1 son 4 daughters. & He expired in 1965 leaving no will. I am the son of my granddad’s son. In 1965 by way of Nominee my Grandmom became the legal share certificate owner. She expired in 2000 & the house went on my dad’s & mom’s name. My mom expired in 2005. & now the house is in the name of my father. ITS AN INHERITATED HOUSE. I also have a sister & brother. My sister is married & she is leaving with her husband. My brother is settled in UK. I am staying in the current house with my wife & son. I am staying here since birth. Now my father wants to sell the house. BUT I AM OBJECTING. As i do not want to leave this house cause I do not have money to buy a new house. My wife is also against moving from this house. My Brother, My sister, My father & all my 4 aunties are against me & threating me to vaccate the house. What do I do ???

June 11, 2009 at 2:05 am
(12) Shail says:

A person ABC (father) came to Mumbai in 1949 and took up two rooms on meger rent applicable that time. He had one son and three daughters.The elder daughter was married in 1974 with a person she claimed to love. The father opposed the marraige however at the end gave up to agree and hold the marraige ceremony and gave good amount of gold, a residential flat for the couple to reside and also paid for the amount to set up a business for his new son-in-law. However the said couple lost everything and the son-in-law threw out the elder daughter whom he had married only for the money. The father refused to have his elder daughter back in the rented house because she had already got into bad company and didnot wanted her to be associated with his other children and therefore broke all the knots with her and warned her not to come or contact anybody in the family. During the death of the father, the rented house was occupied by the mother, son and the two daughter. Out of the two daughter one was divorced from the husband who was selected by the father and was staying with the family for 10 years before the demises of her father and the younger daughter who was unmarried. 5 years after the father death the mother expired and the persons residing in the rented house were the son his wife and daughter, the second daughter (divorced) and the younger unmarried daughter. The younger daughter got married and is now residing with her husband for past 10 years. Around 15 years after the death of the father the elder daughter who was totally eliminated by the father had sent a legal notice to the son claiming right and share in the rented house. Is her claim valid in the rented house as per the Hindu Succession Act? In case the son is willing to relinquish his tenency rights for some amount which he would receive from the landlord and which he will invest in the new house he is proposing to buy and also provide for a share to his divorced second sister who is residing with him, will the elder daughter have any right on the property? Can the second daughter who is divorced and residing in the rented house from 10 years before the death of the father and thereafter till date is eligible for the share her brother is willing to give her from the amount paid by the landlord? Is the younger daughter who was residing in the rented premises at the time of death of the parents has any claim in the amount paid by the landlord?

June 16, 2009 at 6:25 am
(13) Tamil says:

Hello Sir, My issue is very simple.

Person1 sold his father’s lands after his father’s death as he was a legal heir. He got signatures from his 2 sons on the sale deed.

After few years Person1 bought a land on his own and sold that to another person Person2.

Person2 also sold the same land to another person, Person3 (thats me).

Now, Person1′s 2 sons filed a case which says “our father bough this land with the money he got by selling our grandfather’s land, so we need this land back on our name.”

When I went to the land for farming, these 2 guys (Person1′s sons) didn’t allow me and threatening me.

What can I do in this situation? how to, or on what ground I should approach court?

Thanks a lot

July 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(14) Rahul K says:

Is there any new ammendment in HUNDU SUCCESSION ACT after 2005?

September 5, 2009 at 7:20 am
(15) Jagdish Chavan says:

The amendment of sec. 6 regarding the rights of womens on the property of her father is the evolution in the field of law. this is first step to place women on the same footing of man. the constetutional principle equality before law is welly eatablished in this amendment.

October 31, 2009 at 1:31 pm
(16) abhi says:

hello everybody i m a law student
this is first for shivani
dat u can challenge d will wich had been made by ur mother
secondly this is for mr. tamil
dat frst u tell the proper facts of the case..

February 21, 2010 at 7:56 am
(17) Arvind says:


We are 3 brothers and 2 sisters and our father had a property in which me and my elder brother are currently residing. My father bought another property in my youngest brother’s name in assumption that the current property will be shared between the first 2 brothers. However we do not possess any lawful will in this regard and the property is still in my fathers name. After his demise we brothers residing at the property took care of our mother and she also passed away without writing a will. Now there is situation where my 2 sisters and the youngest brother claim an equal share in this property. In this case can anyone please advise on legal grounds, the share that has to be divided between brothers and sisters?


April 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(18) manish sharma says:

my grand father had a agriculuture land in a join account with his brother and marriged twice after the death of first wife.from the first wife he had one son that is my father and from second wife he had four daughter.after his death in 1963 the total land was nominated to the name of my step grandmother and my father except a very small land was nominated to my father’s step sisters with my father ,grandmother and others {that is hiers of my grand father’s brother}.in 1971 the son of my grandfather brother took a partition and we got a seprated land in the name of my grand mother and my father.and the status of that small land reamined same.between 1980 and 1995 they sold some land to married my father’s step sister.my father dyied on 7-11-2004.after his death we got our name in revenue records in place of him.my grand mother dyied on 7-4-2009.after her death my father’s sister added thier name in place of my grand mother in the revenue records.now they claim 80% of the land.how can it possible? is they right? please help me. thanks manish sharm

April 28, 2010 at 4:28 am
(19) vishal says:

we are two brothers , my father made a regostered will in front of registrar with two witnesses , now under the influence of younger brother he wants to dis inherit me. is it possible

July 15, 2010 at 3:00 am
(20) maya says:

Is a Hindu converted her religion after marry barred from getting ancestral property even though her name mentioned in the partition deed

April 26, 2011 at 2:56 am
(21) V Raghavan says:

What are the implications in cases where the parents have only daughters and they are all married off and the issue parents residing with daughters during old age. Parents of the husband, if living, pile on the son (husband) and compatibility aspects prevent parents of wife from staying with her. My-son attitude as though the son could have lived without a wife for ever. In other words, even if the Law says that sons and daughters have equal rights, the in-laws of the girl(Wife) will not accept it !!!!!!!

April 28, 2011 at 5:32 am
(22) chako says:

my gandfather had a ancestral house & he added to this property by purchasing house from his brother. so now he iwas having one house half was ancestral & half was purchased from his brother who acquired if from ancestor.
my grandfather married to my grand mother 1 & produced 2 son & 3 daughter . grandmother 1 died after 15 yrs. my grandfather remarried with my grandmother 2 . & produced 2 sons & 2 daughters. now my grand father died.
now in this intestse property followin g members are there grandmother 2,2 sons of grand mother 1, 2 sons of grand mother2, 3 daughters of grandmother 1,2 daughters of grandmother two. what`s the law to divide the property.

June 15, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(23) indrasen says:

Dear Sir,
My Grand Father is sealing the Property ,does he has the right to sell the Property which he had got from his Grand-Father & still the property is been register on my Great Great Great Grand Father ? Please give me the suggestion what to do to protect my Great Great Great Grand-Father Property.

February 24, 2012 at 12:37 am
(24) Irfan says:

For coparceners Marriage is not a issue. Female members even after marriage have right to share in joint property of HUF

August 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm
(25) Joe says:

Mr. A had a self earned property which was registered into his wife’s name.
Mr. A has 3 sons, and 1st son has 2 sons(Majors); 2nd son has 2 daughters (1 minor & 1 Major); 3rd son got married and lost his wife and no kids.

After the death of Mr. A, his wife also died without writing any will.

3 sons decide to sell the land with house.

My question is, who has rights of the share ? Only sons? OR even their kids (Minor / Major)?

If i have to purchase the land, who all have to sign during the registration process?

My question is how the will is being done and how hindu succession act 2004 is applicable here?

April 7, 2013 at 2:25 am
(26) Devidutta Panda says:

Hello Sir,
We brought a property( Kisam Chaka)from Mr. BanaBihari panda in the year 2001,the property was ancestral and on name of his Father Dharam Panda,We got possession,mutation on 2001 and started constructing a new home on that.Last month Banabihari\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’s Sisters have suit a case on us demanding to cancel the deed as the sell was with there concern, also file a injection suit to stop the construction of house.Please need help please mail the suggestion on deviduttaom@gmail.com,
note:-the property is of 33 decimil.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’
the sell happened before commencement of Hindu succesion act 2005
Still there are 60 decimil of propoerty with the name of Dharam Panda(ancestral property)

Please responce sir,waiting for your help..

March 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm
(27) Anil says:

Dear Sir,
My sister is a widow n also 8months pregnant n her husband has leaft a housing loan of Rs. 22,50,000/- n she is jobless so she has no source of income to repay d loan. And her husband had LIC of which d nominy is her father-in-law. So plz guide me how can she claim d LIC benefits to repay d loan also tell me d relates section n case law.

March 7, 2014 at 5:40 am
(28) anil patel says:

mother lic pay by his son in case of his father death so eligible for rebate in section 80 C

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.